Abscess Diffusion features(DWI / ADC )


Diffusion imaging may help in the differential diagnosis of cerebral abscess versus necrotic neoplasm. 
This is a rapid acquisition with moderate spatial resolution that can yield information on the entire brain and multiple lesions, even in agitated patients. 
Optimizing echo-planar scan parameters (phase offset and delay) is important to obtain high-quality diffusion images. For this reason, the scan is often simulated prior to being run to allow optimization of these parameters. This may take 1 to 3 min. The values obtained are then passed to the scanner and the sequence performed. (This is unique to Marconi's system.) 
Acquire images at b-values  of both 0 and 1000 sec/mm2, each applied in three orthogonal directions. 
These data provide raw diffusion-weighted multishot echo-planar images and is used to process apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) maps. 


DWI / ADC features for Abscess 

  • high DWI signal is usually present centrally
  • often this represents true restricted diffusion (low signal on ADC)
  • peripheral or patchy restricted diffusion may also be seen; this finding is however not as constant as one may think, with up to half of rim enhancing lesions demonstrating some restriction not proving to be abscesses 2.  
  • in many instances high DWI are associated with high ADC signal, consistent with T2 shine through of the central necrotic portion




2 comments:

Unknown said...

question:

is DWI reference line for MRI BRAIN is the same with T2 and T1?

cassie brenda said...

There are a lot of misconceptions about what it means to be living with Herpes simplex virus (HSV). Ultimately, everyone’s lives are different – how you cope with your diagnosis and how you move forward is up to you.

The 21st of June 2015 was the day I was diagnosed with Herpes simplex virus (HSV). l was so worried that I cried out endlessly. On the way there I was crying and shaking the steering wheel, I just didn’t know what I should do.

After that day, my depression was at all-time high, but slowly, I started to do my own research, looking at what I should do next and then last month, i came across a website which was about cure for Herpes simplex virus (HSV) and other STD's.

I took the contact details from the website and contact the doctor (Dr. Francisco. B.), and after much inquiry, we came to a conclusion and she sent a herbal medicine to me through the courier delivery service, and she also gave me guidelines on how to take the medicine.

After 9 days of taking the medicine, i discovered that all painful sores in the genital area, the itching, painful urination and tender lumps in the groin was no more, and i went for a medical test, and i was so amazed to see my test result showing NEGATIVE. I then went to another hospital, and my test result is still showing NEGATIVE till date.

I think life has given me another chance to be happy and free, I now do what I can to inspire others through these battles. For anyone out there affected with such disease please contact Dr. Francisco .B. with the below link;

Email: franciscobrain8@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts